Pootles Advent Countdown 2015 #23 Huge Gift Box Tutorial

Pootles Advent Countdown 2015 #23 Huge Gift Box Tutorial

Pootles Advent Countdown 2015 #23 Huge Gift Box Tutorial Open

I absolutely adore prettily packaged boxes under a tree. Don’t get me wrong, we are all about the lumps, bumps and oddly shaped gifts too, but you know that look that hotels and posh reception areas carry off so well. The perfectly sized boxes all in coordinating colours with gorgeous fat ribbons? Yes that look!

And of course, at Christmas or Birthdays in our house, we have the joke that a tiny present clearly contains a jumper, or a huge box has a CD in it….

Pootles Advent Countdown 2015 #23 Huge Gift Box Tutorial

And that was sort of how today’s project started!

One of my lovely regular shoppers, Nicola, sent me a pair of the most amazing hand-knitted socks and asked if I could make a box for her. Well I tried about 5 different options, starting with frugal packaging at first to cut down cardstock supplies and various options of that, but in the end, I decided that because they were so beautiful and made with such love, that they needed a whopper box and stuff the frugal, let’s go all out!

And of course, socks are usually so ‘obvious’ in their packaging (yes, we do the Christmas sock thing here too), that I amused myself as I was making the box!

Pootles Advent Countdown 2015 #23 Huge Gift Box Tutorial Mint Macaron

I do also teach a technique in it to get perfectly nested lids over box bases. Please do watch the video to see how I do this in more detail. Perhaps practice on a smaller piece first or some scrap to get the technique right before going ahead with ‘good’ cardstock.

So I hope you like it, Happy Sock Boxing (!)

Dimensions when finished – 6 x 6 x 3″ (15 x 15 x 7.5cm)

Cardstock 2 Sheets of 12 x 12″ (30 x 30cm)

On the FIRST sheet score at 3″ on all 4 sides.

Cut and score this sheet as per the video, keeping to one side a piece of scrap that is large enough to fold in half.

Using this folded scrap, place it into your scoring tool at the left (as per video) and then ‘butt’ the 2nd sheet of cardstock against it and score all 4 sides at 3″

Products used and showcased

Cardstock – Real Red, Mint Macaron

Designer Series Paper – Home for Christmas

Stamp Set – Antique Tags

Ink – Basic Black Archival

Ribbon – Very Vanilla Subtle Striped Ribbon

Other – 2″ Circle Punch, Fast Fuse, Simply Scored Scoring Tool, Craft Scissors

1. Thank you so much Sam, a great box for my socks, i love the trick for getting the base fitting correctly under the lid, i’ve lost count of how much card i’ve trashed trying to get that right! So now in addition to all the angels, Santas and peppermint creams we are making for our bazaar at school, i am now making boxes! Hope the socks fit! X

2. Sandy Salazar says:

Custom presents deserve a custom box and that tip is exactly what I needed! Thanks for sharing! And greetings from California!

3. Sam how I love your shows. I was so excited when you announced 25 items until Christmas. We are up to 23 I think and I will miss them so much. Thank you I have made so many of your projects this year and have thoroughly enjoyed every one of them. Only thing is I am a lot poorer buying so much through stamping up. Thanks a million

4. Awesome sized box!! Love the tip too, how clever! And the dsp is my favorite, I’m making all my Christmas cards with it!

5. Love this awesome box Sam. I’ve already made one for a friend to hold some of my rocky road

6. Marthea W Aust says:

Very very clever Sam.
    I read the instructions (as always) before I watched the video and was just confused.
    Started to watch the video and as soon as you said this is the “base” it made sense.

Great idea, gorgeous box.
    Thank you for sharing with us lest talented mortals, we do appreciate it.
    Hope you and your family have a safe and very happy Christmas.

7. Genius! So much fun to watch you create your masterpieces. Thanks for sharing this post with the special tips.

8. Off to my “craft cave” I go to make a few of these beautiful boxes!!!
    I’m wondering….does the lady sell her socks? they’re gorgeous!!!!

9. Renee McClintock says:

THIS IS PERFECT! Thank you, Sam! I bought this glitter snowflake ornaments for my daughter’s teachers and I need a box this exactly size. The snowflake itslef is 6×6….I could not tell you how perfect this is.

10. I WISH I COULD HUG YOU!!! Brilliant tid bit on getting the boxes to fit fabulously!!! As others I’ve racked my brain trying to get the perfect fit box,, trashing much cardstock at times lol. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! The box is a definite keeper 🙂

11. That is a wonderful tip! Thank you for sharing it with us. I think this box is perfect for my bakery sized cookies this Christmas. Thanks again!

12. Thanks Sam what a brilliant box and am loving the tip!

13. Wow Sam – you are brilliant! Thanks for that great tip which will save me from so much frustration trying to measure just a tiny little bit bigger for my box lids.

Can’t wait to get started on my gift packaging now. x

14. Marilyn from TX-USA says:

Sam..Sam..Creative Genius
    As others stated..I too have wasted so much paper. Oh my goodness this is FABULOUS.I’ll be making loads of all size boxes. THANK U, THANK U, THANK U…APPLAUSE…

15. This technique you’ve taught us is definately the best ! The box is wonderful ! Thanks for sharing all your ideas x

16. I love your videos . Thanks for the tip about the tight fitting lid – certainly saves another measure which I have sometimes found to not give proper results . And , about your square knot bow – I sometimes find that if you turn the whole thing ” inside out ” the square knot is on the underneath . I am ” rubbish ” at bows as well and most often will attach a length of ribbon and then make a bow to attach on top using glue dots .

17. Toni Campana says:

Brilliant tip on making the box top!! I’ve struggled over the last few box projects with trying to make them fit properly. Now I will happily skip off to my craft room to do it the RIGHT way :). You are a treasure, Sam 🙂

18. Patricia Sukow (....Pattycakes) says:

I love the big box…so cute. Wanted to let you that Connie Stewart, a Stampin Up Demonstrator has a video on her web-site how to make a shim to do exactly what you did with the little piece of paper. She even gives you instruction on how to make the shim. The shim works great. Love all your videos you put a smile on my face.

19. I just love all your boxes and admire how creative you are!
    Was just wondering if you have ever made a box that would hold a bottle of Starbucks frappacino?
    Happy crafting!